INGREDIENTS FOR TRADITIONAL SPANISH CHRISTMAS TURRON
• 1 cup orange blossom honey
• 1 cup finely ground almonds
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
• 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
• 1 egg whites, beaten stiff
METHOD FOR TRADITIONAL SPANISH CHRISTMAS TURRON
1. Pour the honey into a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat to 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Stir the almonds into the warm honey and remove from heat. Mix the egg yolks, cinnamon, and lemon zest into the almonds. Fold the egg whites into the mixture.
2. Line a dish with parchment paper. Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper and smooth to a 1/2-inch layer. Place a sheet of parchment paper atop the mixture and then place a cutting board over the paper; place a few items on top of the cutting board to give it some weight.
3. Once your traditional Spanish turron has been left to dry for 3 days-cut into 1-inch squares to serve.
If you would like to learn to cook traditional and authentic Spanish recipes with a professional Spanish chef, our private Cooking Tours in Northern Spain introduce you to the best of Spanish cuisine as well as a range of culinary delights such as Michelin starred dining, exquisite wine tastings and authentic gourmet tapas tours.