For the lemon curd
– 4 lemons
– 4 Eggs
– 250 g (1 1/4 cup) sugar
– 50 g (5 Tbsp.) cornstarch
– 1 liter (4 cups) water
For the sponge
– 8 eggs
– 200 g (7 oz.) flour (about 2 cups)
– 200 g (1 cup) sugar
– finely grated zest of 1 lemon
– 200 ml (3/4 cup) kirsch
– 200 ml (3/4 cup) simple syrup (100 ml water + 100 g sugar)
– 100 g (6 Tbsp.) lemon juice
– Berries (raspberries, small strawberries, blackberries, red currants)
Preparation of Berry and Lemon Fruit Cup
Method for traditional Spanish Berry and Fruit Cup
1. Beat the eggs, sugar and lemon zest until thick and foamy.
2. Gently fold in the flour. Spread the batter on a prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake for 22 minutes in a preheated 190° C (380° F). Cool and cut into 3 x 3 cm (1 1/4″) squares.
1. Bring the 100 ml (6 Tbsp.) water and 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar to a boil to make the syrup.
2. Combine the syrup with the lemon juice and kirsch and moisten the sponge squares in the mixture.
1. Grate the zest from the lemons and squeeze the juice. Bring the water to a boil. Combine the eggs, sugar and cornstarch, add the lemon zest, juice and hot water.
2. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Strain.
Use transparent dessert cups so that the ingredients can be seen and alternate layers of soaked sponge cake, berries and lemon curd.
Recipe Courtesy of ICEX, the Spanish Secretariat of State for Trade and Tourism, Ministry of the Economy
If you would like to learn to cook like a professional then our private Gourmet Cooking Tours introduce you to the best of Spanish cuisine as well as a range of culinary delights such as Michelin starred dining, exquisite wine tastings and authentic gourmet tapas tours.