The Michelin roadshow is in full swing and some of the Michelin Guides 2018 have already been presented: Great Britain & Ireland, Shanghai, Switzerland, San Francisco and Washington DC. Still to come this October are Chicago and New York … but Spain & Portugal don’t have long to wait as Michelin fever lands on Spain & Portugal on November 22nd 2017!
Can Spain expect another Michelin 3* restaurant for 2018 ??? Maybe the Michelin Guide Spain & Portugal 2018 will provide Portugal with its first Michelin 3* restaurant ??? We’ll keep you posted …
This year the Michelin Guide Spain & Portugal travels to the Canary Islands, to Tenerife – the only Canary Island with Michelin-starred restaurants, of which there are just four:
- Michelin 2* Restaurant: M.B. by Martín Berasategui (Guia de Isora)
- Michelin 1* Restaurant: El Rincón de Juan Carlos (Los Gigantes)
- Michelin 1* Restaurant: Abama Kabuki (Guia de Isora)
- Michelin 1* Restaurant: Kazan (Santa Cruz de Tenerife)
The official announcement of the Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal 2018 will come from a decadent gala hosted at the Ritz-Carlton Abama Hotel in Guía de Isora, home to two of the island’s Michelin-starred restaurants.
M.B restaurant’s Executive Chef, Erlantz Gorostiza, heads up the « catering » side of the event, supported by Martín Berasategui (founder of M.B) and Ricardo Sanz of the cult Japanese fusion restaurant Kabuki. Guests will have the chance to try the delights of all four Michelin starred restaurants of Tenerife.
In the meantime, while we wait for the NEW Michelin Guide Spain & Portugal 2018 to be announced, here’s a quick recap of last years’ Michelin occurrences:
A whopping 30 new Michelin stars were awarded for the Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal 2017 with Martín Berasategui finally getting the 3rd Michelin star for Barcelona city with his restaurant Lasarte.
In total, last year, Spain received 1 New Michelin 3*restaurant, 5 new Michelin 2* and 15 new Michelin 1* while Portugal received 2 new Michelin 2* restaurants and 7 new Michelin 1*.
The current total of Michelin 3* Restaurants in the Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal is NINE, but they’re all in Spain:
- Akelarre, Pedro Subijana (Guipúzcoa)
- Arzak, Juan Mari Arzak (Guipúzcoa)
- Azurmendi, Eneko Atxa (Larrabetzu, Vizcaya)
- Diverxo, David Muñoz (Madrid)
- El Celler de Can Roca, Joan Roca (Girona)
- Lasarte (Barcelona)
- Martín Berasategui, Martín Berasategui (Guipúzcoa)
- Quique Dacosta, Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Alicante)
- Sant Pau, Carme Ruscalleda (Barcelona)
We have many fine dining opportunities for you all over Spain and / or Portugal. Any of our sample private Gourmand Breaks Private Food, Wine and Cultural Tours gives you the chance of fine dining – contact us for your personal quote!.