The 2019 Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal will be presented on November 21st, LIVE from Lisbon – Portugal. (more info.)
We’ll bring you the 2019 Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal RESULTS next week but one thing that we already do know is that Spain has lost a Michelin 3* Restaurant!!!!
Carme Ruscalleda elegantly closed her Michelin three star restaurant Sant Pau, near Barcelona, on October 27th 2018 after 30 years of success.
Sant Pau, situated in the coastal town of Sant Pol de Mar, was awarded the first of its coveted Michelin stars in 1991, the second five years later and since 2006 maintained its Michelin 3* status.
Sant Pau closed on a high but world-class Catalan chef Carme Ruscalleda is not hanging her apron up just yet. Along with some interesting projects in the pipeline her other two restaurants, Michelin 2* Sant Pau in Tokyo and Michelin 2* restaurant Moments in Barcelona, led by her son Raül, remain open.
Could another Michelin 3* restaurant appear in the 2019 Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal to substitute Sant Pau ??? There are 30 Michelin 2* Restaurants in Spain and Portugal (25 in Spain/ 5 in Portugal) so there are a few contenders!
What’s more, the 2019 Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal is being presented, for the first time ever, from Lisbon!!! Could this mean that a Michelin 3* restaurant is on the cards for Portugal????? We hope so … here are the 5 current Michelin 2* starred restaurants in Portugal possibilities:
- Vila Joya (Albufeira, Algarve)
- Ocean (Armaçao de Pêra, Algarve)
- Belcanto (Lisbon)
- Il Gallo d´Oro (Funchal, Madeira)
- The Yeatman (Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto)
Remember we’ll bring you the RESULTS Live next week but in the meantime here’s a recap of the current 11 Michelin 3* Restaurants in Spain 2018 (none, to date, in Portugal):
- ABaC, Jordi Cruz (Barcelona)
- Aponiente, Angel Leon (El Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz)
- Akelarre, Pedro Subijana (Guipúzcoa)
- Arzak, Juan Mari and Elena Arzak (Guipúzcoa)
- Azurmendi, Eneko Atxa (Larrabetzu, Vizcaya)
- Diverxo, David Muñoz (Madrid)
- El Celler de Can Roca, Joan Roca (Girona)
- Lasarte, Martin Berasategui (Barcelona)
- Martín Berasategui, Martín Berasategui (Guipúzcoa)
- Quique Dacosta, Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Alicante)
- Sant Pau, Carme Ruscalleda (Barcelona) – CLOSED IN October 2018
Heres’s a COMPLETE full list of all CURRENT Michelin 3, 2 and 1 Starred Restaurants in Spain and Portugal for 2018
Experience Michelin starred Restaurant dining opportunities in Spain and Portugal on one of our Private Food, Wine and Cultural Tours. Contact us to custom build your ideal trip!